"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly. "One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."



-Hans Christian Andersen

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An Accidental Centerpiece

You can probably tell by now that I love flowers.  I do not, however, love the price tag that accompany most professional arrangements that catch my eye.  So what's a girl to do?  Well, this is what I do...Fresh flowers, I buy those that are in season and on sale :-)  There will be lots of tulips,hyacinths, and daffodils around here in the upcoming weeks.  Silk flowers, again, I look for the sales, use the coupons, and don't worry about purchasing a huge amount to make an arrangement on the spot.  I'll buy one stem of something if I like it.  I keep a few baskets around where I literally just drop flowers into them as I collect them (like the one in my header).  I've ended up with some very pretty and inexpensive arrangements by doing this.  Granted they're not in the league of the professional florist's arrangements but they have a sweet quality about them that I love.  This is exactly how I ended up with this one


This little arrangement just sort of happened all on its own, just like with the basket, I put a few stems in the vase as I purchased them and then picked a few from my basket until the vase was full.  I shifted everything around, fluffed them up a bit, and there you have it, instant centerpiece.  This is the sitting area in my bedroom, I think it looks right at home here.

I love this area of our room but quite frankly I don't relax there often.  Lately my days have been filled with spring cleaning, you know the kind where everything is pulled out and you're so busy that you forget to take a break or stop to eat.  Last week I went from room to room and by the time Sunday rolled around I was exhausted.  So, I decided that I would treat myself to a little down time to enjoy this area of our room...


Have a cup of tea, and browse a few magazines, and nope, I didn't feel guilty :-)

Here's a sweet poem for you.

"The stormy March is come at last
With wind, and cloud, and changing skies;
I hear the rushing of the blast
That through the snowy valley flies.

Ah, passing few are they who speak
Wild stormy month in praise of thee;
Yet though thy winds are loud and bleak
Thou art a welcome month to me

For thou, to northern lands again
The glad and glorious sun dost bring
And thou hast joined the gentle train,
And wear'st the gentle name of Spring.

And in thy region of blast and storm
Smiles many a long, bright summer day
When the changed winds are soft and warm
And heaven puts on the blue of May."
                                                             Bryant.

I'm joining in the fun at Show and Tell Friday, there's lots of creativity there.  I hope you'll take a moment to visit.

Thanks for taking time to visit with me, I hope you come again.

5 comments:

Bill said...

Loved the first photo with the rays of filtered light, the backlit flowers, and the sparkling crystal vase!

Thank you for your visit and kind comment. Hope the rest of your week goes well ...

Bill

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I prefer loose informal arrangements like this. So pretty!

Kathy said...

Beautiful flower arrangement - looks etherial in the sunlight - lovely place to take a break - a wonderful thing to do to recharge! Especially with tea!
Kathy

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Lovely poem and beautiful photos!

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Hello there!

I just found your blog, and I'm so happy I did. What beautiful photos; you have a gift!

Thank you for making my day a little brighter.

Love,

Marqueta

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...